From: Majid Sarraf [mailto:msarraf(--nospam--at)unl.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 10:45 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: through-truss without top chord bracing

Ken,

I suggest that you look at Timoshenko and Gere's Theory of Elastic
Stability, pages 111 and 112.

I do not believe that using 2% of axial load applied as lateral load for the
design of top chord is a conservative assumption.  Axial force in the top
chord varies from 0 at the ends to its maximum at the mid-span where the
stability against out-of-plane buckling of the entire top chord can be
provided only through bending stiffness of the web components and rotational
restraint of the floor beams.

Majid Sarraf, Ph.D.
Senior Bridge Engineer
Imbsen and Associates Inc.