Pedestrian Bridge Bearings

Daryl,
Thanks for your reply.  My concern with the
elastomeric bearing at the end span is that the
combination of light dead load and steel surface makes
me think it will walk if I don't somehow fasten it to
the beam.  You asked a good question, to wit:

>As a matter of curiosity, why would you use one
>continuous two span
>structure rather than two simple span structures?
>The savings in
>erection using two simple spans would seem to me to
>more than outweigh
>the material saved using a continuous structure.

>				Regards,

>				H. Daryl Richardson

I think (hope) it's about a horse apiece.  There will
be a field splice, obviously, but it's not too
complicated.  The spans are unbalanced:  122 feet and
70 feet, give or take, with an 18 foot cantilever
reaching out to the existing structure.  I had a long
talk with the fabricator, and he indicated he would
rather build the field splice than try to ship a 122
foot piece down the road.  (Of course, he's not
erecting it.)  The splice enables us to make the field
pieces about the same, and still ship just two pieces,
which represented a cost savings to him.  The short
span will be erected first.  I haven't completed my
analysis, but I'm guessing I'll have to hold the short
end down.

Mike Hemstad
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota