Footing bottoms relative to the frost line

I have a question that a few different engineers and architects have
provided different answers for.  When I have been given the frost depth for
a particular building site, I, and some other engineers I have talked to
consider this line the minimum depth at which the bottom of the footing can
rest.  Some others have suggested that this is the location at which the top
of the footing must be placed.  Any opinions about this?  It is my
understanding that the frost line is just a best guess depth based on
historical data with some margin for error on the conservative side.

Albert J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.
Martin Engineering
(215) 665-8570 Tel
(215) 561-5064 Fax