Bottom of footing depth

Sorry if this is a repeat, I don't think that the server at work is working properly.  I know that some place the minimum bottom elevation of footings at the frost line.  I know of others who place the top of footing elevation at the frost line.  Any opinions on this?  It seems reasonable that if the bottom of the footing is at or below the frost line then you wouldn't experience adverse effects due to soil freezing, but given the differing opinions, I'm no longer sure.  Thanks in advance for your response.

A. J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.