RE: Tolerances for Cast-in-Place Concrete

>From my RC design book 5th edition (Wang and Salmon) they give the following
tolerances which appear to come from ACI Committee 117 "Standard
Specifications for Tolerances for Concrete Construction and Materials (ACI
117)". ACI Materials Journal, 85, Nov-Dec 1998, 560-571

Variation in cross sectional dimensions of columns and beams and in the
thickness of walls are +1/2", -1/4" where the specified dimension is greater
than 12" but less than 36".  For footings plan dimension variations are +2"
/ -1/2", with a thickness variation tolerance of -5%.  I know this doesn't
exactly address your case but hopefully provides a bit of a guide with a
reference to go to.  I don't have a copy of the referenced article.

Albert J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.
Martin Engineering
(215) 665-8570 Tel
(215) 561-5064 Fax
ameyer(--nospam--at)martinaia.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 7:32 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Q: Tolerances for Cast-in-Place Concrete

I could have sworn I remembered seeing dimensional tolerances for concrete
in ACI; however all I can find are tolerances for placement of rebar (and
even then it's limited to "d" and "clear cover" (RE: ACI 7.5).

I've got a foundation stemwall, nominally 12" that in reality tapers to the
top of the wall so that it is only about 10" at that point. But how can I
complain if there are no published acceptable tolerances?

What am I missing?

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA