Re: Q: Tolerances for Cast-in-Place Concrete

Bill,

The tolerances for rebar bending, rebar placement, formwork, etc. are found
in ACI 117, " Standard Specifications for Tolerances for Concrete
Construction and Material.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

                    "Bill
                    Polhemus"            To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    <bill@polhemus       cc:
                    .cc>                 Subject:     Q: Tolerances for Cast-in-Place Concrete

                    02/13/02 04:31
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to seaint

I could have sworn I remembered seeing dimensional tolerances for concrete
in ACI; however all I can find are tolerances for placement of rebar (and
even then it's limited to "d" and "clear cover" (RE: ACI 7.5).

I've got a foundation stemwall, nominally 12" that in reality tapers to the
top of the wall so that it is only about 10" at that point. But how can I
complain if there are no published acceptable tolerances?

What am I missing?

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA