Re: Q: Tolerances for Cast-in-Place Concrete

As long as you have referenced ACI 301, "Specifications for Structural
Concrete", then you are covered.  Section 1.7.2, "Dimensional tolerances",
of ACI 301 invokes ACI 117 and states that tolerances not meeting ACI 117
may be considered deficient.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

                    Scott Maxwell
                    <smaxwell@engin.       To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                    umich.edu>             cc:
                                           Subject:     Re: Q: Tolerances for Cast-in-Place Concrete
                    02/13/02 12:00
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to seaint

ACI 117-90 is the current version.  The committee is working on updating
it.  I believe an updated version will be available in the next year or
two.

One thing to point out is that the tolerances in ACI 117 don't mean squat
unless they are include as part of the contract documents.  You can
consider them "standard" practice is not included in the CDs, but if you
really want the contractor to be "forced" to follow them, then they need
to be adopted in the CDs.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)d-fd.com wrote:

> Bill,
>
> The tolerances for rebar bending, rebar placement, formwork, etc. are
found
> in ACI 117, " Standard Specifications for Tolerances for Concrete
> Construction and Material.
>
> Thomas Hunt, S.E.
> Duke/Fluor Daniel
>

>                     "Bill

>                     Polhemus"            To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

>                     <bill@polhemus       cc:

>                     .cc>                 Subject:     Q: Tolerances for
Cast-in-Place Concrete