Re: Q: Tolerances for Cast-in-Place Concrete

Very true...however, the point still remains that if ACI 117 is not
invoked in the CDs (either on their own or by way of referencing ACI 301)
then it has no contractual prower.  Similarly, ACI 301 does not have any
real "power" unless invoked in the CDs.  The point is that ACI 117 and ACI
301 are not codes and, thus, do not be come legal documents unless invoked
in the contract for the project.  That is not to say that they could not
still be extremely useful in a lawsuit as examples of standard practice.

Also, keep in mind that just doing a "blanket" reference of ACI 117 may
not always cover you.  For example, for floor tolerances (i.e. Ff and Fl
numbers) must also have some additional requirements specified (i.e. do
you want a flat or superflat floor).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI