From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 8:26 AM
To: SEAOC Listservice
Subject: 1970s Panelized Roof

Dennis,

I pulled out my 1st Edition (1966) of the AITC Handbook to verify the
sizes
of GLBs.  Pre-1971, the standard finished widths of GLB members were:

2-1/4"
3-1/4"
5 or 5-1/4"
7"
9"
11"
12-1/2"
14-1/2"

It should also be remembered that pre-1971 thickness of 2" nom. lumber
was
1-5/8", therefore the depth of GLBs would be multiples of 1-5/8".

I don't have your original post on this subject on this computer,
otherwise I
could give you what the properties for the GLB would be per inch of
width.

The 1970 UBC gives allowable stresses for DF-L lamination combinations
of A,
B, and C as 2400, 2200, 2000 psi, respectively, E = 1.8 X 10^6 psi.  A
structural firm that I worked for in the early 1960s would design GLBs
for
2200 psi and specify 2400 psi.

I have found that getting copies of existing plans is always worth all
the
effort that may be required.  Much can be learned, sometimes startling,
reviewing the plans.  I have also found that the facility management
divisions of national or regional chain stores are extremely cost
conscious
about maintaining their stores and preserve and protect plans so that
they
will not have to go to unnecessary expense in remodeling/repairing their

stores.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona