Re: gap below base plates

I have no answers, but a few questions:

1. You say there is a 1/16" gap in _some_ places.  Where?
2. What mechanism maintains the gap?
3. Is there any tension in an anchor bolt? (I know; that's hard to measure.)
4. Is the base plate stiffened in any way?
5. Can you see any deformation in the base plate?  (Is it still flat?)
6. Is the column a major member of the structure, carrying substantial load, or
part of a braced frame or moment frame system?
7. You appear to be considering filling the gap with some kind of material.  If
the existing grout has problems, shouldn't that be removed first?

Remember, they're just questions; nothing's meant by them.

-Keith Fix, PE