From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 8:54 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ASCE 7-95 Partially Enclosed Buildings

James,

I consider all buildings as partially enclosed unless they are bunkers with
no windows and vault-like doors.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

James Balmer wrote:

. > Table 6-7 of ASCE 7-95 list the GCpi for the three different enclosure
. > classifications.  The greatest values are for partially enclosed
. > buildings. From the definitions, I gather that partially enclosed
. > buildings have +110% openings in one wall as compared to the sum of the
. > remainder of the building. Similarly, if I have a balloon w/ one large
. > opening and several much smaller openings, I can force air into the
large
. > opening and develop large internal pressure (partially enclosed).
. > However, if I have roughly equally sized openings and force air into one

. > of them, I can not develop the internal pressures. (enclosed)

. > Does this make sense?  If I can make certain that a structure does not
fit
. > within the definition of partially enclosed (insure one of two provision

. > in enclosed bldg is not met), than I can work using the lower GCpi
values
. > of enclosed buildings.