Measurement of Concrete Reinforcing Bar Length

Do any of you have knowledge of a means to determine the length of reinforcing steel bar when only one end is exposed or accessible?  Preferably a technique or technology that allows for measurement through standard radius bends, in bar lengths up to standard mill lengths.  I assume it will be necessary to have one square cut end exposed.

I was originally thinking of some of the ultrasonic bolt measurement technology, but it is overkill in precision, and generally limited in application to shorter lengths.

Thank you

Mark D. Anderson  PE