Re: B.C. Structural Engineer of Record

Thor,

	One of the reasons I enjoy monitoring this list is that I get to
interact with what you call "real structural engineers".

	I happen to agree with the approach taken by APEGBC in establishing a
higher requirement for structural engineers.  Far too many of the people
I've come into contact with in the past think that "Structural
engineering is nothing; anyone can do it"; that's why they assign it to
their draftsmen.

	Another province that's taken the lead in engineering registration is
Saskatchewan.  A few years ago Saskatchewan introduced the advanced
designation "Permission to Consult".  This designation is required of
any engineer in any discipline where the final user of the professional
services is anyone other than the engineer's employer.  Gaining this
designation requires additional education and experience beyond that for
normal registration (but no tests).

	Hopefully, one day, the others will catch up.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson