Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 7:12 PM
Subject: Hydrocarbon encapsulation

Not a structual engineering issue per se,  but does anyone know what happens when you mix hydrocarbons with portland cement?

Specifically,  if I have soil containing hydrocarbons (benzene, etc.)  and I mix in 7% portland cement by weight of the soil,  1 -2 % bentonite and water in the ratio of 1 to 0.8 cement,  will I create a soild mass that will prevent the hydrocarbons from going anywhere?

Is this is an accepted technique for this purpose?

If I later decide to build a building on the site,  how hard will it be to excavate this material?  Can it be done with an excavator and dozer?

Gail Kelley