From: Yip, Kenny [mailto:kyip(--nospam--at)anvilcorp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 2:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: What's the thickness of a continuity plate

I was designing an ordinary beam-column moment connection.  I used a 3/4" thick cover plate, and the thickness of the beam flanges is 7/8".  My calculation indicates that the use of continuity plates is just barely needed; nevertheless, I chose to use continuity plates whose thickness is the same as that of the beam.  When my supervisor examined my calculations, he said that the thickness of the continuity plate has to be equal to the total thickness of the cover plate and the beam flange.  Any comments are highly appreciated.

Kenny Yip, EIT
Anvil Corporation
Tel: 360-671-1450 x 3836
Fax: 360-671-1697