RE: Request for feedback

Charlie,
Is there any plan to cover the non building systems. I examine and sometimes
do new structures that support equipment with very creative systems. Most
are less than 50 ft tall. The classic is to have standard framing
connections beam to column and have the brace attach at about 1/4 the height
down the column and at maybe some place along the beam span. Not always
symmetric and not always at both ends of a beam. I have used the R value of
2.9 and wonder about the detailing on the bracing. If you look at braced
frame kl/r and strength provisions it's a pretty messy thing to get a plan
checker to buy off on. The other item I am not warm and fuzzy with is when
one braces into the column and applies all the provisions for bracing to the
brace the column may be the weak link. There is not guidance to follow to
provide a strong column-weak beam system kind of philosophy. Any opinions
would be welcome.
Thanks for your solid performance,

Robert M. Hanson,S.E.
Kappa Engineers