(Off Topic) Railroad Gauge

I think this may have been floating around at one time, but there was a
history on the gauge used for railroads that had something to do with
the ruts in the road produced by chariots (maybe I'm way off)?  Does
anyone have a copy of this tale?

Thanks,
Dave K. Adams, S.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.
PH:  (559) 688-5263
E-mail:  davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com