RE: bridge design software

Phillip,

Bridge design software is a VERY broad spectrum.

For starters, what kind of bridge are you looking at?

Steel:

Straight, tangent:  Merlin Dash

Skewed > 30 deg. or Curved:  DESCUS or MDX

P/S:  Conspan or Consys

Concrete Piers: RC Pier or FL Pier

Anything fancy like suspension, or Cable Stayed:

A 3-D finite Element Program like LARSA or STAAD or RISA 3D

A good reference book to start with would be Design of Highway
Bridges by Barker and Pucket.

That should get you started.  Good Luck!

Jonathan