Re: Railroad Gauge

Er, uh . . . I think it's time to get out the history books . . . or visit
one of the many urban legends websites.

For a start, railroad gauges (or even gages -- if you prefer) have been
anything but uniform and standardized during the period in question.  For
that matter, some would argue they are still not standardized today.

Even in the 21st Century --- there are at least 3 'standard' railroad gauges
in territory once under the control of Rome.  Perhaps the answer is that
only horses with backsides that were 'narrow gage' could be employed in the
North of England --- leading of course to Stephenson's eventual adoption of
4' 8-1/2"  (OK, that's his post 1840 revision from 4' 8")   But, what's an
inch here and there between friends?

The link to the bit about the boosters for the Space Shuttle is a hoot.
Unfortunately, the size of objects carried via rail is determined by the
railcar width, not the gauge.  Railcar widths also vary, with the U.S.
having comparatively 'wide' cars as a result of the space allotted between
sets of track.

I bet if we check the website for Pontiac -- we'll find that their
'Widetrack' vehicles are proof of the continuing impact of the 'standard
width' of a Trojan Horse.

David Sharp
TurnaSure LLC
Part-owner, Brooklyn Bridge