Re: Railroad Gauge (Mr. Sharp)

>From the National Railway Museum, York, UK is the following

British railways run on the same width of track as most of the rest of
the
world (4 feet 8.5 inches). The difference is in the loading gauge ? the
width
and height of structures through which the trains pass. In Great Britain
the
?Stephenson? loading gauge in use is narrower and lower than the loading
gauge in Europe - the ?Berne? loading gauge.

Other track gauges include Ireland 5 feet 3 inches, Russia and Finland 5
feet,
Spain 5 feet 6 inches. There are also railways with a narrower gauge ?
South
Africa 3 feet 6 inches, and Metre gauge lines in France, Germany and
Switzerland. America has the same track gauge as the United Kingdom as
does Australia which also has gauges of  5 feet 3 inches and 3 feet 6
inches.  New Zealand has a gauge of 3 feet 6 inches.

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.