Re: Request for feedback

Wow, wouldn't this be great.  First Trade Arbed returns the Reduced Beam
Section, then the Side Plate Connection, now only if Jay Allen will cough
up the slotted web connection then life would simple and grand again.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

                    Rick.Drake@Flu
                    or.com               To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                                         cc:     carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org, seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                    02/21/02 07:29       Subject:     Re: Request for feedback
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to seaint

Henry:

Your offer to include Side Plate Connections in the public domain of an
AISC Manual sounds great to me.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo

***********************

Charlie:

After reading several of the responses to your request, it appears that
engineers are really looking for some good info on both moment frame and
braced frame design guidelines.  Including the following information in the
AISC Seismic Design Manual would greatly assist engineers in knowing all of
their choices when designing steel moment frame buildings, resulting in
more
solutions using steel as the material of choice:

1) ICBO and COLA prequalified weak axis (or better stated dual-strong axis
using a cruciform column) moment connections are available with SidePlate
connection technology.

2) ICBO and COLA prequalified moment connections with either tube steel or
built-up box shape columns are available with SidePlate connection
technology.

3) Wide flange shape columns deeper than W12 or W14 series are prequalified
by ICBO and COLA for Ordinary and Special Moment Frame construction without
requiring additional full-scale testing with SidePlate connection
technology.

Will AISC be addressing blast or progressive collapse in this document?

Will AISC be addressing dual systems (i.e. SCBF+SMRF and/or EBF+SMRF)?

Please let me know what you think.

Henry Gallart