RE: Fire Rating

Thickness of the flange.

You may use the method in the UL book to select alternative beams to W8x28

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian K. Smith [mailto:smithegr(--nospam--at)bellsouth.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 12:01 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Fire Rating

	I think this has been discussed before; however, I do not remember
the
outcome.  I have a partial garage (one row of parking) under the main floor
of an office.  When we began the project, there was no need to fire rate the
floor between the two.  Now that it is permit time, we have to rate the
floor system separating the two.  My client has faxed over some cut sheets
from the U.L. manual (I do not have copies of the entire manuals).  The
particular system he chose requires a minimum floor beam size of W8x28.  My
beams are deeper, but not as heavy (short span).  What is U.L.'s criteria
for MINIMUM?  Is it depth, weight, flange size?

Brian K. Smith, P.E.