From: Jim Kestner [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 3:38 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Fire Rating

I asked a similar question awhile back on the list server, but I did not
get any response. I emailed UL directly and within a few days, I got an
official interpretation from them. Here is how I understand it:

The 8x28 was the actual beam that was tested in the particular assembly.
Other beam sizes may be substituted, but the spray on thickness has to be
adjusted according to a formula found on page 9 of UL 2001, Vol One.
W/D values of the substitute beam shall not be less than 0.37.
	W = weight of the beam in lbs/ft
	D = perimeter of protection in inches
	(I believe a W8x10, Case A, AISC pg 1-143, 8th edition, corresponds to a
W/D of 0.37.)
T1, adjusted fireproofing thickness is not less than 3/8".
the unrestrained beam rating is not less than one hour.
This adjustment procedure cannot be used for restrained beam ratings.

If you want to contact UL .......here is their website.

http://www.ul.com/

I hope this helps!

Jim Kestner