From: Dave Nuttall [mailto:dnuttall(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 8:15 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: REPOST: Steel Lintel Bearing on Masonry Wall

This is a repost of an earlier listing to which only 1 person initially
responded.  This is a topic which I am hoping can be further discussed.

I would still like to know what the various opinions are regarding the
bearing of a steel lintel on a masonry wall.

The typical lintel in question consists of a W section with a plate below
spanning somewhere between 6' and 30'.

Besides calculating the required bearing length, is there a preferred method
of anchorage?

Should the lintel truly be anchored to the masonry by welding  it to a
bearing plate, or should the lintel have provisions to move slightly so as
not to produce fixity?

What complications occur by fixity if the lintel is supporting a cavity
wall, where the brick wants to expand, and the cmu backup wants to contract,
but the lintel is only bearing on the cmu?

Does one method produce a different expansion joint & control joint layout
over another method?

I would also like to know the various details and configurations of the
different cavity wall lintels used by my peers.

Your opinions are appreciated,

Dave Nuttall, P.E.
Green Bay, WI