RE: cellular concrete fill

Mike,

It is done all of the time with cellular concrete.
http://www.elastizell.com/index.html

And with light weight expanded shale aggregate.
http://www.escsi.org/
http://www.txi.com/

I have even seen void systems formed using expanded polystyrene.  The
polystyrene would be used to form the voids of a system with stem walls and
a structural slab.  It is kind of like a skip joist system with the stems
bearing on soil.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague