From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 4:23 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Interesting Internet Connection Freeware

What kind of connection do you have?

If you have an older modem connection (either 56k or slower), then you
could look into a broadband connection (cable modem, DSL, or satelite).
That will definitely speed things up.

If you already have a broadband connection, then there may not be a whole
lot that you can do.  The speed at which a web page loads is a function of
not only your connection speed, but the amount of traffic on the web
server that is offering up the page and the amount of traffice between
your computer and the web server.

Do the pages just load slowly for a couple of sites or all the sites that
you visit?  Do the pages load slowly all the time or only during certain
times of the day?

One thing that you can do to "speed" things up is you have a 56k modem
connection (or any other connection for that matter) is to not have the
browser automatically load the images.  Since the images are usually the
thing that sucks up the bandwidth, not have them load can be quite a
benefit.  I used to do this back when I had a 28.8 modem.  This would
allow me to navigate the web rather quickly and then when I reached a page
where the images where necessary or what I wanted, then I would load the
images "manually".  This ability is still in the version of Netscape
(4.78) and IE (5.5) that I have, so I would suspect that it is still
present in IE 6.  If so, it should be under "Tools" in "Internet
Options...".   Select the "Advanced" tab and find the section on
Multimedia.  There should be an item labeled "Show pictures"...uncheck it.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Reynold Franklin wrote:

> Stan:
> You convinced me that you know a lot about internet.  Can you suggest any
> recommendation for my case.  My IE is very slow in opening pages.  Using
IE6
> on windows 2000.  How can I speed it up.
> Reynold

Rev