[no subject]

A more interesting one is converting weight to section modulus or vice
versa. I don't have that one at my fingertips, but I will try to find it.

Jim K.

The February, 2000 issue of Modern Steel Construction has an article in it by Ioannides and Ruddy called "Rules of Thumb for Steel Design".  In it they present several formulas for figuring the approximate section properties, weights, etc. of various structural members.  For example, according to the article, given the weight and depth of a wide flange shape, its strong axis moment of inertia can be approximated by the formula:  Ix = D*D*Wt/20.

Don't know how accurate it is;  I just remember reading it and filing it away for future reference.

John Goodman, P.E.
Rochester, NY