Re: Use a lot of W Shapes? Here's something useful!

An approximation of section modulus for W and I shapes (and some times even U
shapes) is   Weight X Depth/10.   And  a rougher  approximation to the moment
of inertia can be  derived from this estimate of section modulus times the
half-depth.

             Roy Levy, P.E.