RE: 8x8 & 4x8

This seems really dumb.  You solve one problem to create another.  How much
labor will be involved to laminate the beams correctly, how much money you
save the contractor, why doesn't the contractor build it like the plan.
Why should any contractor respect any engineer when they know they can
change the whole desitn and have the engineer approve a fix that was not a
part of the initial design.  Try to change an architect design and he will
walk off the job in protest.  Engineers on the other hand will dive head
first to save the day.  Frankly, If the contractor made his bid to build
4x12 beams, I think he should build a 4x12 beam.  Forget this hand holding,
crazy notion that we design, then have the contractor build some thing that
was not a part of the plan, have us engineers bend backward to fix what
they screwed up on to find out they are more than likely to screw it up
agian since the design now calls for more craftsman ship and details than
the contractor really care to do.
that my 0,02 cents on it.
Samir Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & associates