Steel rules of thumb

A few good steel rules of thumb have now been posted. I have been keeping a
file of them, including the Ioannides and Ruddy article set, with the idea
that it would be useful to all to have a single sheet with rules of thumb
for quick reference. Probably published in AISC's Modern Steel Construction.

What other steel rules of thumb do you all use? If you'll share them, I'll
consider including them. Please feel free to reply publically or provately.

Charlie

P.S. Preregistration deadline for the 2002 North American Steel Construction
Conference is March 27. For more information visit www.aisc.org/nascc.html
or call 312.670.2400.