Re: Anchor Bolts in Residential Footings

My recollection is that the Code is 'silent' on this issue, although I believe
it is found via reference to either ACI-530, ASCE-5-92 or TMS-402. It might be
more explicitly described in the old UBC 2409(b).C (columns and such).
I think securing embedded items is an undisputed industry standard from an
engineer's perspective, however your 'minimally competent' contractor would
tend to defend his right to stab bolts in fresh concrete, both in concrete and
masonry construction.

As far as masonry is concerned, most inspection manuals (The Masonry
Institute/The Masonry Society etc..) require securing embedded items prior to
placing concrete.

I would think the code requirements for securing rebar, as well as the
requirements for clearances/tolerances, mandate securing embedded items
generally.

Steven A.
Los Angeles