Re: Column reinforcement splices

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] Perhaps in Asian continent using full length of bars in columns is in vogue, unless dictated/restricted by building height, where either a splice is necessary (for tall structure) or not required at all. Mechanical splices are generally not used in this sub-continent and lap splice is used, with 50% lapping at a section.

Could you be more specific for the location of your project and applicable design/detailing codes?

RP Mehrotra

John Holliday wrote:

This seemed a silly question but I have got several
different opinions from my associates.
We are building a large industrial facility overseas where
labor is very cheap. On our design drawings we indicated
column reinforcement splices at floor levels and offset
the bars from the lower level to accomadate the upper bars
(aci318/99 7.8.1.1). The civil contractors (we are in
process of bidding the work) have told us that that is not
how column splicing is done over there. Because material
is so expensive, they use the full length of bar (40
feeet)whenever possible and make the splices in the column
where ever the bar ends. Additionally they do not offset
the lower bar at the splice, they make a normal lap splice
with bars placed next to each other. They are required to
stagger all column splices, 33% of splices at level one,
33% at level two one meter above level one and the final
33% at 1m above level 2. These practices result in the
column splices occuring anywhere along the length of a
column. It appears to me that these splices need to be of
the offset kind with ties added at the splice to account
for the horizintal component of the offset bar. Is their
method of using normal lap splices feasable? These are #10
and #11 bars in columns within a building 130 feet tall in
a medium seismic area.
Thanks in advance for all input.
Regards,
John Holliday P.E.