From: Vijay K. Patil [mailto:vjkpatil(--nospam--at)vsnl.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 10:34 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Expansion Joints

Dear Friends

In Indian codes a general crietria for provision of expansion joints in
Concrete buildings is given as 45m i.e. in case the length of the
building exceeds 45m an expansion joint should be provided unless the
temperature stresses are taken care of.

However in Steel design code specifies no expansion joints need to be
provided  for buildings upto 120 m with one central bracing bay and 180
m for buildings having braced bay 45m from both ends.

The gap between the buildings to be provided is atleast 30 mm.

What is the general design crietria for providing expansion/contraction
joints in your country code. And what should be the gap between the two
buildings.

Vijay Patil