RE: Expansion Joints

Placing expansion joints is generally a serviceability issue.  The US
building codes' focus is on life safety.  The placement of expansion joints
is a function of the type of building, the structural framing, and the
projected temperature variation.

I have seen steel buildings 300 m long with no expansion joints.

The 30 mm building separation appears to be fairly small.  You should
calculate the lateral movement of the building for wind and thermal growth.
For seismic design an amplified lateral drift needs to be calculated that
adjusts for the building performing in the nonlinear range.  The SEISMIC
building lateral drift and building separation is in the code, and in the
NEHRP Provisions.  http://www.bssconline.org/

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague