From: Fabio Zárate <fzarate(--nospam--at)zyzconsultores.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Expansion Joints
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 13:25:22 -0300

Dear Vijay:
The gap of the joint is related to the nex ttwo things:

first , the lenght of your building:

Steel and concrete have both ,more o less, the same  temperature dilatation
coefficient= 0,00001  1/ Cº.
Therefore if yor bulding´s lenght is 45and the most variation of
temperature inthe year is ;let´s say 25 cº,  you need at least a gap of 2
x0,00001 x 4500 x 25=2,25 cm plus 1 cm for security.

Second:
if your building is settled  on a seismic zone you need to work out with
the
hammer effect that is linked with th heifto ductility and the sort of soil,
but alwayr more than 50mm.

Fabio Zárate
Zyz Consultores
fzarate(--nospam--at)zyzconsultores.com