From: Edwin Schmeckpeper [mailto:eds(--nospam--at)uidaho.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 10:32 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ACI 318-2002

Does anyone have a copy of ACI 318-2002.  I have a question about the
revised section 11.8 which covers Shear in Deep Beams.

First, what is the definition of a Deep Beam for shear ?

Second, is there a "simplified" method for calculating V_c for deep beams
(in ACI318-99 you could assume that V_c was 2(f'c)^.5 * b * d ),
or are you required to use the Strut-and-tie method ?

Thanks

Ed Schmeckpeper
Department of Civil Engineering
University of Idaho			E-Mail : eds(--nospam--at)uidaho.edu