Re: ACI 318-2002

Ed,

Section 10.7.1 and 11.8.1 of the 2002 318 code give a definition of deep
beams.  Section 11.8.1 pertains to the "shear" definition.  It states:

"The provisions of 11.8 shall apply to members with clear spans, ln,
equaly to or less than four time the effective beam height, h, or portions
of beams loaded with concentrated loads within 2h from the support that
are loaded on one face and supported of the opposite face so that
compression struts can develop between the loads and supports."

I had thought that the intent of adding Appendix A was to get an alternate
design method into the code, but that the older method would still be
permitted.  It appears, however, that the 2002 code doesn't specfically
include the old method that was part of the 1999 code.  Section 11.8.2
states:

"Deep beams shall be designed using nonlinear analyses as permitted in
10.7.1, or Appendix A."

It appears that the new "simplified" method in the 2002 code is to use the
provisions in Appendix A.

You can pose this question to ACI.  While you will get an answer to your
technical inquiry, it will not be an "official" code interpretation unless
wanted do an official request for interpretation from the committee, which
generally costs money and takes time (it has to be run through the full
standardization process of ACI like it was an actual code change
proposal).  There is a form on the ACI web page (www.aci-int.org) for
submitting a technical inquiry or you can send it to techinq(--nospam--at)aci-int.org.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI