RE: Wood Truss Connection Design

The "Midwest Plan Service" of the land grant colleges have
many simple building plans, and many of those plans have
plywood gusset trusses, designed for farmer-built use.
One point to access this service is: http://www.mwpshq.org/
Search for your local (U.S.) Ag College, who may stock these
plans.
Some trusses are shown:
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mwps_dis/mwps_web/tr_plans.ht
ml

The plywood association also had technical bulletins for
this type of truss.

Another option is plywood box beams. These can be field
fabricated to good lengths.  Just sandwich plywood and 2X
solid stock in layers, glued and nailed. Use as many layers
as needed to get the capacity you need. Watch your splice
points. I have also done these beams tapered, cut to save
plywood.

Both of the above sources used to have bulletins for these
box beams.

--Bill Hartman, Davis,CA