RE: Steel rules of thumb

Charlie:

Here are some that I use which are somewhat similar to the ones suggested by H. Daryl Richardson

For a uniformly loaded simple beam...

Deflection  = M*L^2 / (161*I)

I req'd = .31*M*L for defl = L/600
I req'd = .19*M*L for defl = L/360

For a simple beam with a single concentrated load...

Deflection  = M*L^2 / (201*I)

I req'd = .25*M*L for defl = L/600
I req'd = .15*M*L for defl = L/360

where
M in ft-kips
L in feet
I in inches^4

These might be a little simpler to remember.

Jim Kestner
Green Bay, WI