From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 3:45 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: STRUCTURAL STEEL: Large Pipe Column?

Got a need for a large pipe column. I'd rather use an 18" Dia. Column, but
that just doesn't seem to make it. I can squeeze in a 20" Dia., but even the
largest HSS size shown (HSS 20.000 X 0.500) isn't quite working. Is there
any alternative I can use that will give me either a greater material
strength than ASTM A 500 Gr. "C" (maybe A 618 Gr. I/II?) OR a thicker wall?

If I go with the stronger material, just how hard to get is "other
applicable material specification, the availability of which should be
confirmed prior to specification"? How do you make such a determination?

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA
Phone (281) 492-2251