RE: STRUCTURAL STEEL: Large Pipe Column?

Try filling it with concrete.  With an 18-20" round column you can get quite
a large capacity increase that way.

Will a square section work?  An HSS 18x18x0.625 has more capacity than an
equivalent round section (it also weighs more).

If an HSS 18x18 will fit, but you can't find one, try a built-up section.
(4) HSS 6x6's welded together should work, and even with the extra labor it
might still be cheaper then the extra cost for the "special" large size.

Finally, you need to try to locate any non-typical section before
specifying.  Sure, a HSS20X0.5 is listed in the tables, but what if they
only produce them once every 4 years?  Try contacting fabricators (not just
local - something this big might have to travel a bit) to see what they can
scrounge up.

(helping to keep the list alive with answers... oops, time to do paying
work)

-----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.