Re: Anticipate construction loadings?

Bill, Scott,

	I don't believe that the EOR is responsible for anticipating all of the
construction loading, particularly for commercial or residential
structures; but there are structures, generally industrial structures,
where the construction loading will govern the selection of material
thickness and other structural considerations used in the design.  In
these cases the design engineer must either be aware of the construction
loads prior to construction or expect to reinforce the structure during
construction to accommodate the loads.

	Some examples are:
1.) Stacks and towers.  Often the gravity loads in the horizontal
position govern the location and design of lifting lugs as do such
considerations as whether it is to be assembled horizontally and lifted
in one piece or erected piece by piece and assembled hundreds of feet in
the air.
2.) Raft or mat foundations.  These may have to be designed to
accommodate crane positions for lifting and placing heavy equipment.
3.) Tower cranes in high rise buildings.  The location and sizing of
these is generally not known until after the job is awarded and the
construction people begin to assess just how they are going to do it.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson