Re: Anticipate construction loadings?

I consider that a structural engineer should be
familiar with the construction process of whatever he
is designing, and should specify and design the
structure within a reasonable range for the maximum
construction loads, and leave to the constructor the
responsability of following those guidelines.

But the EOR can't be held responsible for any accidents
or failures during construction process, unless it is
demostrated that his design was negligent in
considering loads that could have been foreseen to act
during the construction process.

On Thu, 28 February 2002, Daryl Richardson wrote

> Bill, Scott,
>
> 	I don't believe that the EOR is responsible for
anticipating all of the
> construction loading, particularly for commercial or
residential
> structures; but there are structures, generally
industrial structures,
> where the construction loading will govern the
selection of material
> thickness and other structural considerations used in
the design.  In
> these cases the design engineer must either be aware
of the construction
> loads prior to construction or expect to reinforce
the structure during
> construction to accommodate the loads.
>
> 	Some examples are:
> 1.) Stacks and towers.  Often the gravity loads in
the horizontal
> position govern the location and design of lifting
lugs as do such
> considerations as whether it is to be assembled
horizontally and lifted
> in one piece or erected piece by piece and assembled
hundreds of feet in
> the air.
> 2.) Raft or mat foundations.  These may have to be
designed to
> accommodate crane positions for lifting and placing
heavy equipment.
> 3.) Tower cranes in high rise buildings.  The
location and sizing of
> these is generally not known until after the job is
awarded and the
> construction people begin to assess just how they are
going to do it.

> 				Regards,
>
> 				H. Daryl Richardson
>
> Scott A. Dunham, PE wrote:

Functional?

> > > Does the EOR have the
> > > responsibility to try to anticipate construction
> > >
> > > If anyone has at least SEEN the post I mean,
could you email me PRIVATELY
> > > and let me know that it did get to you?
> >
> > Bill, I haven't seen the original post, but I did
seen the post wondering
> > why nobody responded.  (I didn't respond to it.)
Looks like nobody wants to
> > weigh in on this issue, but I give you my opinion,
FWIT.

> > No, the EOR should not attempt to anticipate
(therefore attempt to design
> > for) construction loadings.  My reasoning is
simple, you have NO IDEA what
> > some dumb*ss might put on the partially erected
structure, nor to what
> > degree of completion (steel connections pinned but
not bolted, bolted but
> > not torqued, welded connections not made, concrete
not cured, base plates
> > not grouted, ad nauseum).  If some sharp lawyer
found during discovery that
> > you had anticipated a 25% overload, but it was a
30% overload that resulted
> > in the collapse that killed his client, he'd have
your lunch, company & all
> > of your assets.  On the other hand, your client (if
he found out) would just
> > as likely sue you for spending his money
needlessly; after all he hires only
> > top notch contractors who would NEVER do anything
such as overload his
> > structure during construction.
> >
> > Just one man's opinion - I look forward to any
further discussion generated

******* ***
http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
> > *
Engineers
server. To
> > *
> > *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> > *
> > *   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember,
any email you
re-posted
> > *   without your permission. Make sure you visit
our web
********

******* ***
> *   Read list FAQ at: