Re: Two questions

First comment...DSLReports is a web site not freeware.  They might have
some freeware available on their site.

I don't recall the specifics of the post about DSLReports, but I want to
say that it was probably about testing the speed of your connection.  If
so, I don't believe that it is necessary to disable your firewall to test
the speed of your connection at the DSLReports site.  I have tested the
speed of my cable modem connection there many times and I am going through
my broadband router (NAT type firewall) and a software firewall.  No
problems.  There may be some other tests that you can do on the DSLReports
site that do require temporary disabling of the firewall...but I have not
used them.

My basic guess on the issue of the firewall warning that you are
receiving would be that it is a Yahoo web page issue.  Since you are using
a free Yahoo account, I am assuming that you are checking you mail by
using the web page interface.  If so, then Internet Explorer may need to
do some Visual Basic Script stuff that is imbedded in the Yahoo email
pages.  Since this is a way in which you computer can be "violated" by a
hacked (by using VB Scripts embedded in email or web pages), your firewall
probably thinks that it is such an attempt.  If so, then the only way to
eliminate the "annoyance" is to configure the firewall to allow all such
attempts in the future.  This, however, means that you are disabiling this
protection for all such attempts...the good (as likely the case from
Yahoo) and the bad.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI