From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 5:17 AM
To: SEAOC Listservice
Subject: Dumb Old Guys

When I graduated from college, I knew more than I ever had in my entire
life.  I was *smart!*  I knew more than those "dumb old guys."

As time passed, and I learned more and more, I also learned that I knew less

and less, and, hence, was becoming dumb.  And as I listened to those "dumb
old guys," I learned that maybe they were not as dumb as I once thought.

Now, having lived for 68 years, I willingly admit that I am one of those
"dumb old guys" and am not ashamed of it.

For those of you in the dawn or forenoon of your careers, recognize that
*soon,* you, too, will be a "dumb old guy."  Recognize the limits of their
knowledge.  Be kind to them.  Listen to them so that one of these days, you
will become as dumb as they.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.
Dumb Old Guy
Tucson, Arizona