Re: Masonry Control Joints/Codal Requirements!

Jim/Daryl,

The relevant Codes are:

 1.  ACI 530-88/ASCE 5-88:
     Building Code Requirements for Masonry
     Structures.

 2.  ACI 530R-88/ASCE 5-88:
     Commentary on Building Code Requirements
     for Masonry Structures.

 3.  ACI 530.1R-88/ASCE 6-88:
     Specifications for Masonry Structures

 4.  Uniform Building Code (UBC)- 94

I have checked all these codes & there is no such requirements in them for
provision of vertical rebars in the adjoining cells of the 'control Joints'.

However, it is a recommended detail to provide vertical rebars in the
adjoining cells around openings & reentrant corners.

Moreover, for seismic/engineered masonry, it is also a recommended practice
to provide vertical rebars (besides joint reinforcements) to tie with the
'bond beams' & the 'bracing beams' at any intermediate levels, if the
heights are larger.

Other than these there is no other requirements in the Codes perse.

I hope it helps. Regards,

SYED FAIZ AHMAD; MENGG, MASCE
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
SAUDI OGER LTD