From: syed faiz ahmad [mailto:syedfaiz23(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2002 11:24 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Masonry Control Joints/Codal Requirements!

Jim/Daryl,

The relevant Codes are:

  1.  ACI 530-88/ASCE 5-88:
      Building Code Requirements for Masonry
      Structures.

  2.  ACI 530R-88/ASCE 5-88:
      Commentary on Building Code Requirements
      for Masonry Structures.

  3.  ACI 530.1R-88/ASCE 6-88:
      Specifications for Masonry Structures

  4.  Uniform Building Code (UBC)- 94

I have checked all these codes & there is no such requirements in them for
provision of vertical rebars in the adjoining cells of the 'control Joints'.

However, it is a recommended detail to provide vertical rebars in the
adjoining cells around openings & reentrant corners.

Moreover, for seismic/engineered masonry, it is also a recommended practice
to provide vertical rebars (besides joint reinforcements) to tie with the
'bond beams' & the 'bracing beams' at any intermediate levels, if the
heights are larger.

Other than these there is no other requirements in the Codes perse.

I hope it helps. Regards,

SYED FAIZ AHMAD; MENGG, MASCE
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
SAUDI OGER LTD