Re: Metal building frames blown over

> From: Mark Gilligan <MarkKGilligan(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>

> 3)  The regulations are overly proscriptive and do not appear to allow the
> contractor to compensate for the lack of 4 anchor  bolts by the use of guy
> wires or other temporary bracing.  I am amazed that a group of steel
> erectors, who have seen a large variety of construction, could assume that
> 4 anchor bolts would be the only solution in every case.

It's not necessarily the erectors that are having a problem with the
situation:
1) See Structure, november 2001, page 22, "The New OSHA Steel Erection
Standard." Picture shows 4 colinear bolt pattern at base.

2) recent discussion thread on this mailing list where the 4 colinear
bolt issue was raised.

> Construction safety will only improve when the Contractors finds it more
> profitable to create a safe work place.

It seems to me that the ultimate destination is the "engineer/designer
as builder" role that was more common in previous generations.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International