Re: aluminum welding

>The contractor has contacted seveal welders who all told him that it is
>not possible to weld stainless steel to aluminum.  Is this true?
Substantially. I expect there are processes that will fuse the two
materials, but you're probably better off using Elmer glue. At least you
won't have any particular illusions to be shattered along with the
structure. Part of the problem is the enormous difference in melting
temperatures between stainless and aluminum. Another problem is galvanic
corrosion which probably did for your aluminum to begin with.

You can start learning about welding with some of the Lincoln
publications like _The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding_, but the only
way to really learn about welding is to hang around a weld shop.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw