Re: Drilled piers vs piles

Bill Polhemus wrote:

> I'm not sure where this is, but here's an observation:
>
> It is now considered improper to have dowels connecting the pier/pile to the
> grade beam. This is to allay any complications should there be uplift or
> heave. I suspect the code requires to you "socket" the pier/pile into the
> grade beam, however, so as to provide some degree of lateral support, and
> keep the spatial relationship.

"Improper" to who? With a proper geotechnical report, there should not be any
complications due to soil heave.  We always provide soil retainers and void
boxes under all grade beams in expansive soil conditions. All grade beams are
doweled into drilled piers unless we have a condition where the pier reinforcing
is extended into the grade beams.

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA AEI
a practical structural engineer